Game Informer Disses All Game Movies Everywhere (June 26, 2004)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The February 2004 issue of Game Informer had a feature that chronicled the "history of sadness" that are the movies based on game franchises. They pan a few really decent movies such as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Wing Commander.

Along with his life partner Matthew Lillard, Prinze starred as a fighter pilot engaged in a galactic war with the evil Kilrathi aliens. Unlike the reptilian aliens in the games, the Kilrathi in the movie resembled catlike Muppets. The disparity between the two was especially strange considering that Chris Roberts, who worked on the video game series since the beginning, directed the film.
Good luck spotting the error. I spared you the part where they whine about science fiction gravity.

--
Original update published on June 26, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
"Unlike the reptilian aliens in the games..."

Yeah. Now I get to write an article about bad game magazine writers who don't know what they are talking about. I seem to remember reptilian aliens in the "V" mini-series but none in Wing Commander. Wait... lemme check............nope, no reptilian aliens. Just cat-like warriors and regular ugly aliens in Prophecy and SO.

Yeah but come on now. Other than the error regarding what the true Kilrathi really look like, the article is kinda right about a few things. Firstly, Wing Command and Final Fantasy really were bad movies. I would also agree that Wing Commander has few excuses for being a bad movie on account of Chris Roberts playing such an active role in prodcution as well.

Why Chris? Why? Why did it have to be so bad.....

Yes this article is correct in it's opinion as I agree with it. A lot of people on this site are very obessed with Wing Commander. The thing is though because you are obsessed with something, doesn't make everything about it good. I am an obsessive Star Trek fan. That doesn't mean I like every episode, of every Star Trek series that came out. Some people are just "No matter how bad it is, it's good." That is not the case. Then when the truth comes out about something they always down it. They fight against or find something else to rat on it. For instance, the factual mistake in the article. I used to be that way with Star Trek, but then I said, "Wow there are bad movies and bad episodes..."

Nafé

Erm, I'm pretty sure the issue people have with the article is that it claims that the Kilrathi from the games are lizards. But don't let that stop you from beginning Stupid Righteous Movie Rant #168.

eh, i dont care how anyone attempts to justify it... that movie was the pathetic descendant of monkeys !!

eh, sorry.

no really, if it wasnt for the wing commander moniker, everyone here would be bashing it (if any of us would have indeed seen it..)

i mean honestly, they could have strung together the FMV scenes of wc4 and made a much better movie.

I thought the movie was okay. I was a lot happier with the various spinoff products it added to the WC universe, though.

I thought it was okay for a summer thriller movie . . . except it didn't really thrill. Did it even come out during the summer?

March 1999, i.e. I was going to go see it, but for some reason I saw October Sky instead.

Stupid.

wankski said:
no really, if it wasnt for the wing commander moniker, everyone here would be bashing it (if any of us would have indeed seen it..)

And if it wasn't an evil game-based-movie, Game Informer would have never picked on it and everyone else would just consider it a normal science fiction film.

wankski said:
No, I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed the movie just as much if it were called something else.

Since it'd be the same movie, and stuff... that I liked.

I mean, I suppose I might be the exception to your rule, and you could be generally correct in your assessment (that everyone - most everyone, anyway - would say bad things if the movie wasn't WC,) but I've never found there to be a shortage of movie bashers here or anywhere, so I don't find that likely.

I suppose I'm just glad I'm secure enough in my own intellect and the self-image I project to others around me that I don't need to loudly and regularly deride a lesser-known science fiction film for the purposes of gaining acceptance and building my cred as a discerning movie and sci-fi buff. That just sounds like an awful lot of effort.

But hey, I guess if you get a kick out of it...

I have a question, if Square Studios isn't making any more films, then who the hell is making Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

Not to mention that they take time to rip Wing Commander, but don't even bother mention the piece of shit Double Dragon or Super Mario Bros. movies. That article pisses me off...

Back