Fog

Dexter

Spaceman
This must have been asked a million times, but here goes:

I just got a new Diamond Viper V770 with the RIVA TNT2 chip and 32MB of RAM. I played Prophecy in Direct3D (the only 3D mode) and was pleased to find every 3D option except Fog and Lens Flare were available. I got a patch from the CIC's files section which gave me Lens Flare, but I can't get fog....

Help?

------------------
- Arnav 'Dexter' Manchanda
http://www.blacklance.org/dexter

Fog is only available in Glide mode, which will only be available if you have a 3Dfx card.

------------------
Barrie "Cpl Hades" Almond
balmond@wcnews.com

Hi, guys!
Reading this thread just remembered me of a question I have because I decided to buy a new graphics board soon. It may not be all that WC related but hey, I want to play WCP with it, too !
smile.gif

Perhaps somebody has some more in-depth information on this. I read somewhere that there are drivers for TNT/TNT2 boards that enables them to operate in Glide mode. Is that true? If so, I'd prefer buying a TNT2 card rather than a Voodoo board. The TNT2 boards (or the GeForce cards, but I can't afford one of those) seem to be the future.

So, does anyone know of these drivers?

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn 3dfx monopoly... Buy are cards or this won't work/you can't play this game/you suck!

------------------
"We're going to the same freakin' jail cell anyway."

I emailed Origin Tech Support, and they said one could try using a Glide Wrapper. What the heck is that?

------------------
- Arnav 'Dexter' Manchanda
http://www.blacklance.org/dexter

It's like a video card emulator... It changes Glide hardware calls into Direct 3D hardware calls. It isn't as fast or reliable as a real Voodoo card, but it works. You can find them in various places on the net... just search for one.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Glide wrappers are just different drivers you can use to emulate Glide support in Direct3D. They do exist; the TNT2 card from Creative Labs comes with one (which angered 3Dfx to no end, but the courts decided it was OK). Recently, the Glide API was declared open source, which means that chipset manufacturers in the future may decide to include support for it.

Hmm, Creative Labs, you say? Well, the thing is that I always had mixed feelings about that company. As far as my "decision making process" stands right now, I would go for the Elsa Erazor III LT (I don't need a TV out). I think Elsa does a pretty good job supporting their products (esp. driver updates). Anyone knows of Glide wrappers for Elsa cards?
Another thing on the subject of TNT2 boards:
In my inquiries I asked a computer dealer about the differences about the "normal" TNT2 chipset and the TNT2/M64 one. He replied that the latter only is a newer version of the original one. Anyone knows of any differences of these two?
I assure you this will be the last of my nagging questions!
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Last edited by a moderator:
Just search the net for Glide Wrappers, they don't need to be made specifically for your card, just go look for a generic wrapper.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Specify more... what exactly do you want it to be able to do... 3D graphics, 3D model creation, watching DVDs?

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Back