Fighter technology advancement WC1-WC2

Originally posted by Viper61

True Hamlet, i didn't think about that. I would guess that all the names started anew when the US as a nation was dissolved into Confed, but it is something to think about.

C-ya

Was the US dissolved....or did it just BECOME Confed....

Think about it....The capital of the Confederation is Washington D.C., ranks in WC1/2 were American ranks, their salutes are American style, most fighters are named after old American fighters, WC is pretty much Americans in Space....

hehehe...never mind me....

No, the US didn't become Confed... there were at least two 'universal' governments before Confed was formed: the United Nations and the WEC...

Actualy, the salutes are a slight modification on the standard U.S. military salute (having been in the service I should know...) the standard american salute has the tip of the index finger touching theoutermost edge of the eyebrow (or the tip of your glasses or cap) with the hand angled slightly down so someone of your own height could only see the edge.

I should also state, that Eisen 'saluting' Blair with his swagger stick was just wrong.

Originally posted by Hamlet
I assumed that it was the Hellcat V becuase there were four different Hellcats before it. (One American WWII fighter was called the Hellcat). Just like the Thunderbolt in WC3 is the Thunderbolt IV or something, and the A-10 in real life is the Thunderbolt II.
Actually, we can be sure that the numbers after the fighter names do not refer as far back as American 20th century aircraft.

The reason why we can be certain that the numbers do not start off from the 20th century fighters, but from a later point (the formation of the Confederation proper?), is because the Hornet is just the Hornet, not the Hornet II or IV or something. The same goes for most of the other fighters that recycle American names, for example the Sabre and the Phantom.

Originally posted by Quarto

Actually, we can be sure that the numbers after the fighter names do not refer as far back as American 20th century aircraft.

The reason why we can be certain that the numbers do not start off from the 20th century fighters, but from a later point (the formation of the Confederation proper?), is because the Hornet is just the Hornet, not the Hornet II or IV or something. The same goes for most of the other fighters that recycle American names, for example the Sabre and the Phantom.

Point, except for one small problem...
IIRC, the numbers aren't mentioned until WC3, and we know for a fact that at least two fighters that don't have numbers in write-ups in WC1 and WC2 are not the first craft to bear that name - specifically, the Rapier and the Broadsword.

Still, I don't personally think that Confed is basing their fighter numbers on craft used during WW2.

Yeah, we can't say for *sure* that the Hornet isn't the Hornet V... but I don't think that's the point. It would be hard to 'canonically' claim that the fighter designations are descended from American aircraft in the first place... the point is that it seems to have certainly been the *intent* of the designers to imply this.

Actually, the numbers were first used in WC2 (the Rapier II). Therefore, regardless of anything else, the Sabre should have had a number, had they begun in the 20th century. Of course, that doesn't mean that the fighter names aren't a form of homage to those fighters (which indeed seemed to be the designers' point) - just that the designations started some time later.

'Rapier II' doesn't appear until the Kilrathi Saga manual. My original Joan's simply calls it a 'Rapier'.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
'Rapier II' doesn't appear until the Kilrathi Saga manual. My original Joan's simply calls it a 'Rapier'.

I thought it was the Rapier-G in the original WC2 manual. LEt me see if I can dig up mine.

Originally posted by Haesslich

I thought it was the Rapier-G in the original WC2 manual. LEt me see if I can dig up mine.

The original WC2 Joan's lists it as F-44G Rapier.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Was the US dissolved....or did it just BECOME Confed....

Think about it....The capital of the Confederation is Washington D.C., ranks in WC1/2 were American ranks, their salutes are American style, most fighters are named after old American fighters, WC is pretty much Americans in Space....

hehehe...never mind me....

Sorry about the dissolved remark, just didn't know how to get from the US to confed in the WC timeline. :)

Why should the US and Confed be related? Don't you think the rest of the world would be a bit upset, to put it VERY politely.

Yeah, the rest of the world should get together and loudly denounce possible premises for fictional sci fi governments.

Originally posted by BattleDog
Why should the US and Confed be related? Don't you think the rest of the world would be a bit upset, to put it VERY politely.

You'd have to figure out why DC ended up being the Confed capital.
Unfortunately, there's a significant dearth of information. AFAIK, the aforementioned WEC first popped up as the bad guys in Crusader: No Remorse, but since those games have been more or less firmly placed in the same universe as the System Shock games, its questionable whether or not there are any ties with the WC universe (The SHODAN AI in WC might make for a very bad, or very scary, fan fic, however). I'm not an expert, but I don't think Tri-Optimum Corporation's development of the first FTL ship exactly fits with the WC background.
Ultimately, it comes down to the 'why' of DC being the capital of Confed. The EU has a capital, and while some European nations might be a little annoyed that it wasn't in their country, there had to be a capital, and it couldn't be everywhere. Figure out the why, and you'll know whether or not everyone else is upset.

Originally posted by BattleDog

Fine I'll spell it out for you. I don't now how the US and other countries got from todays time to that of Confed. I thought I implied this . .. but oh well.

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61

Sorry about the dissolved remark, just didn't know how to get from the US to confed in the WC timeline. :)

hehehe....you misunderstood me...I wasn't upset that you said that, I was just pointing out that Confed and the US are VERY similar....as if the United States at some point took over the world, and then became the Confederation...

Seems strange, but then again what other explanation would there be of Confed being so American?

I specifically said "don't mind me".....

EDIT -

Ah...I just read Claw Marks for some reason, and notice I was kind-of wrong. The United States didn't take over the world, the "North American States" took over the world! *evil laughter*

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Ah...I just read Claw Marks for some reason, and notice I was kind-of wrong. The United States didn't take over the world, the "North American States" took over the world! *evil laughter*

OHHHHH, okay. My bad. Damn Canadians probably invaded the US then took over the world :).

C-ya

Back