Fighter Storage Question

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
Since the hangarbay of the Wake class is too small to fit big ships, like Raptors or Broadswords, how did the Landreich store those things when they weren't being used?

In False Colors the FRLS Independence (formerly Tarawa) is carrying Raptors, so Raptors are not a problem.

As for Broadswords - they are probably stationed on planetary bases - either that of the Landreich has some ships which can actually carry them into battle...

The issue is that there's not enough space to carry and maintain squadrons of heavy bombers on the CVEs. The fact that they have one or two of them flying in the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink battle in Fleet Action isn't the same thing - it's not a full complement and they're not accompanied by munitions, spares, supplies, etc. for a long term mission.

The 'standard' complement of the Landreich-owned CVEs (in False Colors) is Hornets, Rapiers and Raptors.

So... I wonder why this doesn't work:

Raptorwake.png

So... I wonder why this doesn't work:

Raptorwake.png

Since we don't actually have an "official" finalized model of the wake class, only the fan created one created for standoff (no offense any one...:)), your picture could be wrong.

Actually, IIRC at some place it is said that a Broadsword would have the tiniest clearance - but could still get in, and since without a doubt the Broadsword is much wider and taller the the raptor, you picture is probably wrong.

(aside from the obvious fact that they do fly Raptor of the Independence)

I can't fit a Broadsword in the Midway Hanger in SO either....Wierd...Maybe the Sizes are off waaaay to much

I can't fit a Broadsword in the Midway Hanger in SO either....Wierd...Maybe the Sizes are off waaaay to much

Simply importing models won't automatically make the scale of the fighters match.

Well no I mean..When I put Broadsword model I did for SO...It seems that the model itself when your flying it is too big for the hanger then when you land...It's the right size...I'm sure the hanger in SO is different than the hanger that you actually see on the model...like it's own separate model when you land.. you know what I'm sayin...

I'm surprised that fighters in the Wing Commander universe don't have folding wings. You'd think that hornets, ferrets, epees and sabers would have folding wings, at the very least.

I'm surprised that fighters in the Wing Commander universe don't have folding wings. You'd think that hornets, ferrets, epees and sabers would have folding wings, at the very least.

They very probably do have folding wings. Keep in mind we only ever see the launch deck, NOT the hanger deck in all the games. Could well be that when the hit the lifts to the hanger deck the ships do have folding wings

I'd say the wing tips would fold in as well to some extent to give a bit more side clearance on the lifts and hanger bays

Back