Favorite Gun...

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
We all have a favorite gun, one that works for us better than anything else. A gun that defines our flying style.

For me, it was a tough choice... the first gun that comes to mind is the Reaper. Sadly, it makes an appearance on two fighters only, one of which is later replaced by Ion guns.

So my favored gun has to go to one that is a veteran in both Confed and the Kilrathi Empire. It is referred to by some as the "Widowmaker;" the Neutron gun (WC1/2). I love the solid punch this thing delivers. I am the type of guy who loves to move in close, and get out quick, thus it works well for me.

Charging Mass Driver. Yes, my flying style is about as sophisticated as a blunt instrument.

My favorite utterly broken gun: Dust Cannon.

My fantasy pick would have been the turret guns from WC2, if I had the opportunity to mount them as primary weapons on a fighter. Decent damage, excellent range, crazy refire rate.

Hmmm... It's pretty tricky to decide which gun is your favourite, since most fighters tend to mix weapon loadouts, and some just mix them better than others. (I.e. Rapier vs Ferret)

My all-around favourite weapon would either be the laser for it's fire rate or the tachyon for it's damage.

The higher the frequency, the better.
This means you, Dust Cannon. Or if not available a SINGLE mass driver. I swear I kill Capships faster with one of them then with 2 (Wc1 at least).

Those Fusion Cannons in Privateer were mighty nice. Beyond that, I'll give credit to the 'original trilogy' of guns for being so uniquely balanced (plus the Particle Cannon, for adding to that with a light touch rather than the flood of new information found in later games.)

I also have a love-hate relationship with all the unique guns introduced later on... I enjoy the concept of guns that make gameplay different (Leech, Charging Mass Driver, Scattergun, laser camera, etc.) but I don't like when too many appear together.

... and some points for Armada's sarcastic non-gun, the Sonic Accelerator - for obvious reasons.

Edit: how could I forget the mike-and-ike guns from Arena?

x-m8....

wait

mass drivers. Fell in love with them on the Scimitar, and the Ferret was almost a dream come true.

I do love the mass drivers but even more when they are side by side with neutron guns. Yeah Im a saber fan.

I do love the mass drivers but even more when they are side by side with neutron guns. Yeah Im a saber fan.

I more favored the Rapier II prototype as seen on the TCS Tiger's Claw. The ship carried lasers and Neutron guns, a kick-ass combo if ever I saw one.

I agree, superb handling, God's own shields, who could ask for more! - except maybe to have all the guns blown off except a single laser. Fun!

I guess you're talking about the Ionic Pulse Cannon - they're one of my favourites in Arena too for the same reasons (looking fun, being rather balanced).

I like the Pulse Particle, the Meson Blaster and even though it's far from being the best gun, the Neutron Gun holds a special place in my heart.

The Dust cannon is by far the most powerful in my eyes but it's too overpowered, at least in the Wasp.
I never liked the Mass Driver. It's a very good gun in WC 1 and 2, probably the best after the Particle cannon but I never liked it flavour-wise.
Normally I dislike slow moving and short range guns. The Academy Plasma Bolts, SOPS Chain Ions and some Armada guns (Flux e.g.) are disliked thoroughly by me.

Yeah, you'll be really sorry when we have the 'Beat ChrisReid in Armada' tournament and you can't play.

Back