Favorite fighter.

This is the kind of question people love...

It's so hard to say what my favorite is. I also really like the Excalibur. Something about its design just struck a chord with me. That and probably the Centurion. The Centurion seemed to hold up forever. Like those difficult Privateer missions by the Exploratory Service. I did best when flying that ship.

The charging mass was the easiest gun for me to kill with. But my favorite was the Stormfire from WC4.

I really liked the Wasp in Prophecy and SO, it had some groovy lines and the multirocket system kicked as. I liked all of the fighters in in Prophecy and SO pretty much equally, aside from that. But my all time fav has been and will always be the Raptor, and will be till the day I die or somebody makes a new WC game with a better fighter. :D
I would take a Raptor against anything produced to date. Hey the USAF is going to be flying Raptors soon, you gotta love it! :cool:

The Black Devastator is my all time favorite ship, but for fighter it is a tie between the black Wasp and Dragoon--clocking anytime you want is just cool! :D

poopnoodle said:
how could you dislike the scimitar? Its mass driver guns made it kick ass.

But its sluglike handling made its ass get kicked. I might prefer it to a Sabre though.

For me it's...

WC3: Excalibur, and Thunderbolt

WCP: Vampire, and Wasp.

I've not played any other WC games save those two (I tried to play Secret Mission 1 on the SNES, but the controls were hindering).

The Thunderbolt was my favorite. And i know some people are going to ask why, but i kind of like the Scimitar too. I know there are other fighters that perform a lot better than the Thunderbolt and Scimitar, and are better looking too. Its the feeling i get from these ships, they give me an image of a warhorse that has been in service for a long time, seen a lot of different battles and have been used in different rolls.

I don't know if that makes sense. Maybe someone else has similar thoughts.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense (to me at least, but that, admittedly, isn't saying much). The Thunderbolt is a good ship to fly if you like that particular style; frontal, guns blazing, roll out, come around, do it again. The Raptor is good for that, too, but it's (seemingly) quicker than the T-bolt. The Scimitar is a decent gun boat, but she won't take too much of a beating if you get outgunned up front.

Or, there's the Panther. Charge in, guns blazing, and then outfly them, too.

Speaking of guns blazing, back in the days of WC1 I remember my buddy the computer guy had some kind of program that gave the ships 10 weapons of your choice. Very little could withstand a hit from 10 neutron guns at once.

The T-bolt is just about perfect for those who don't care much for dancing around, and just want to go through your opponent. Probably doesn't surprise anyone here that's how I tend do things. :D

As for the Raptor, yes it is faster than the T-bolt, 400/1200 (max/AB) vs the thud's 380/1000. The Raptor, however, gets its ass kicked in the firepower department, in both guns and warhead-based weapons.

Remember, you can't compare the two.

The Raptor is roughly the same scale as the T-Bolt. Since missile tech has seem to be minutarized, we can theorize that if the Rap was in service in 2669, it could carry way more missiles.

Death said:
The T-bolt is just about perfect for those who don't care much for dancing around, and just want to go through your opponent. Probably doesn't surprise anyone here that's how I tend do things.

I love the T-bolt - its not only fairly fast for something it's size, but it carries a torpedo and it's gun loadout is amazing.

The Raptor is roughly the same scale as the T-Bolt. Since missile tech has seem to be minutarized, we can theorize that if the Rap was in service in 2669, it could carry way more missiles.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Missiles weren't "miniaturized" - they're stored in internal bays rather than on external racks.

Take a look at the weapons select menus for the later games. They show all the hardpoints on the ship, and missiles to scale. The Excalibur and T-Bolt are large, boxy ships, it's not too hard to fit the weapons inside them.

Nothing like the good old Raptor - the only ship worthy of her name....

...well, the Sabre might be on a not-very-close-but-close second place...

(and a word about WC3/4 fighters - they had such nice ship designes for WC1/2, so why suddenly change to these boxy, ugly, flying pigs?)

Back