Fantastic!!!!!! A WC2 flight sim!

C

CraigPichach

This is truely an amazing project!!!!

I am a WC2 fan myself and feel that the whole "style" made for some exciting game play (phase shields, ships, the works) not to mention great novels (End Run, Fleet Action).

Any chance you could include perhaps scenarios from "End Run"?

And what do you use to create such beautiful models like the Confederation, Gilgamesh, Tarawa, the Kilrathi cap ships, etc?

In my opinion Chris Roberts would have had an amazing film if he had chosen "End Run" as his movie script.

Originally posted by CraigPichach
This is truely an amazing project!!!!

I am a WC2 fan myself and feel that the whole "style" made for some exciting game play (phase shields, ships, the works) not to mention great novels (End Run, Fleet Action).
Thanks. I'm also a big fan of WC2 and both of those novels... it's good to see that we're getting the right ideas across :)

Any chance you could include perhaps scenarios from "End Run"?
Maybe so... I'm still considering the possibilities for the 10 simulator missions. I'm leaning towards making about 4 training/tutorial missions and 6 "historical" missions. These would include scenarios from WC1, WC2, and End Run. However, I'm still considering the idea, since this depends on having all the necessary ships, and it's likely that if we decide to do this, the in-flight comms (and thus, character participation) for these missions would be limited.

And what do you use to create such beautiful models like the Confederation, Gilgamesh, Tarawa, the Kilrathi cap ships, etc?
Quite a few different programs, really. Rhino3D, Truespace, 3D Exploration, Adobe Photoshop, and Paint Phop Pro... not to mention the fan-made tools for importing the models and textures into the game.

Originally posted by Filler
some people believe Unknown Enemy was better than secretops
And those people are right :p

--Eder

Cool

Well keep up the great work!!!

I will never understand why they went from the indepth colorful "total war" style of Wing Commander II and Privateer to the rather bland WC III style.

Oh well, at least now we can travel back! = )

I wish I could help out but I'm afraid I just got 3d studio three months ago and am still learning. I also have access to a digital video camcorder, if that helps any.

Either way, I can't wait to be flying Sabres in the middle of massive cap ship battles again = )

Re: Cool

Originally posted by Craig Pichach
I will never understand why they went from the indepth colorful "total war" style of Wing Commander II and Privateer to the rather bland WC III style.
Actually, Privateer was rather gray as well. Hmmm, anyway, don't worry, only ships that once were poor-resolution 2D sprites are admitted here :p

I wish I could help out but I'm afraid I just got 3d studio three months ago and am still learning.
Well you're on the right path already. I don't know much about modelling myself, really, I've just learned it all from experimentation (OK, so it's been, like, 6 years of constant experimentation now, but still... ;)). Thankfully, my low-polygon modelling skills are good enough to make good looking ships.

Either way, I can't wait to be flying Sabres in the middle of massive cap ship battles again = )
There should be plenty of Sabre-flying in the second part of the game. People will probably get sick of flying Sabres and Rapiers almost all the time, in fact - so we'll throw in a few Crossbow missions for variety :p

Phase Shields?

Will you have phase shields in like with WC II?

I always thought that they added depth to the game, explaining why fighter battles were so crucial (a two man bomber could do serious damage to a cap ship with a nuke) while at the same time explaining why capital ships were still used rather than small Venture class vessels (only the larger capital ships could have phase shields).

We don't know enough about the WCP engine's code to change the way capship damage is detected :(

Standoff will be just like WCP/SO in this area: destroy a ship's bridge and engine(s) with torpedoes, and the ship explodes. The only gun able to damage capital ships will be the anti-matter gun, which is of course mounted only on capital ships. Corvettes and transports will only be targetable by guns and regular missiles.

I'm sure we will live!

That's alright!! = )

Phase shields can be in the next edition!

I can't wait to get back into the WC 2 universe, thanks for making it a possibility!

One day we should all get together and try to make "End Run" the movie or something

In my opinion Chris Roberts would have had an amazing film if he had chosen "End Run" as his movie script.
Many people also think WC4 would have made a better WCM. The trouble is that you can't really make a movie based on a story which people already know about.

Originally posted by Eder
Corvettes and transports will only be targetable by guns and regular missiles.
So transports will be like corvettes in that they won't have components?

BTW, that's an interesting way to promote yourself in your signature. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
So transports will be like corvettes in that they won't have components?
Kind of. There are a limited number of corvette slots in the WCP engine, and there's not enough slots for all corvettes and transports... so the transports actually have collision spheres instead of tree-based collision (like capships and corvettes do).

Transports are more like big slow fighters, only tougher to kill. Except for civilian transports... we need those to be weak for the civilian cannon fodder mission from Fleet Action. Unless the civilians drop like flies, that mission won't be any fun :p This isn't the best way to handle this, but given the limited participation transports have in Standoff, I think it'll be ok.

Apart from the cannon fodder mission, I can only think of two other missions which will have one Clydesdale each (the missions where the Firekka gets Sabres and then Crossbows)... and there's a Free Trader in the prologue as well... but that's it for transports.

Originally posted by Wedge009
BTW, that's an interesting way to promote yourself in your signature. :)
Yeah, what could be a better way to promote myself than ripping-off the master of self promotion, Troy McClure? ;)

Mmm... so the those transports will have giant spherical shields? It'll have to do, I guess. And they'll appear red instead of orange as well, won't they?

No, they won't appear red or orange, because there are no Kilrathi transports :D But seriously, you're right. They will have spherical shields and show up in the same color as fighters in the radar.

Back