Excalibur and Thunderbolt in WCP?

Vinman

Vice Admiral
I'm not going for a space point, I'm just curious about whether the Excalibur and Thunderbolt used in SO were made for WCP. I was looking at some of the archive documents and the air group layout doc mentions Thunderbolts being used as wild weasels, but there is no mention of Excaliburs.

I did some more reading and the art objects doc doesn't mention Excaliburs or Thunderbolts, and Vesuvius is mentioned but crossed out.

I'm assuming that the destroyer is a Murphy and the cruiser is a Plunkett.

I'm assuming that the destroyer is a Murphy and the cruiser is a Plunkett.

These ships were also created for WCSO (or, in the case of Murphy, created separately and then incorporated into WCSO.) The original plan called for the game to reuse the WC3/4 destroyer and cruiser.

Edit: Space Point

These ships were also created for WCSO (or, in the case of Murphy, created separately and then incorporated into WCSO.) The original plan called for the game to reuse the WC3/4 destroyer and cruiser.

Edit: Space Point

Woah, that would've been cool.

I disagree. I've seen those ships enough. It was nice to bridge it with a Vesuvius-class, but I much preferred seeing an all-new capship cast.

I thought there was too much of a jump between WC4 and WCP, as if the entirety of the fleet was retired and replaced with Vesuvius and Midway class ships.

Were the WC3/4 destroyer and cruiser completed?

There was eight years' difference between the two time periods, plus the Midway was specifically designed as an economical replacement to the ageing cruiser and destroyer fleets seen in WC3/4.

There was eight years' difference between the two time periods, plus the Midway was specifically designed as an economical replacement to the ageing cruiser and destroyer fleets seen in WC3/4.

I still have to agree with Zero though, "This tub gets hulled, then what? Confed put all its eggs into one little basket!"

He's correct, three torpedoes and all the work goes down the drain. I'dve rather spent those credits on a couple of destroyers and cruisers.

I'm not saying Zero's argument isn't valid, but you have to remember that the political environment of the time was pushing very hard for massive reductions in military spending. It may have been an eggs-in-one-basket type of ship, but given the 'peacetime' setting I think it was an appropriate compromise in rebuilding the fleet. Paladin, sorry, Senator Taggart justifies the position well in the ICIS news report, and don't forget that the Midway-class was also designed to carry science divisions and marine complements, in addition to three full wings of fighters. A standard fleet carrier only has one wing, so there is plenty of opportunity to shift assets around if necessary.

Even with that mentality, the Midways definitely earned their pay according to S*S. Possibly 5 of the original 10 are still around at the time of Arena (although 2 of them are officially considered lost behind enemy lines) with the others having done a lot to win the war for Confed and the Kats.

S*S alludes to it still being around. When I did this list following S*S I have it as still being active.

I forget the exact remarks in S*S but they talk about it like it is still around, as well as being the Confed flagship IIRC.

It's never made clear - beyond that it went on to additional adventures at the head of the fleet after Special Operations.

(Edit since I posted this before I saw Dundradal's comment - the Midway isn't one of the carriers that the author of the S*S piece *knows* was destroyed... but he also doesn't know where it is now.)

Yeah, the reference is in the Port Broughton article if you are curious about checking it out for yourself. :)

It's a nice juicy nugget dropped in the middle of an article about the habitat.

The Port Broughton article seems rather open, indeed but from the entry from Joan's, I certainly got the impression that Midway is still alive and still the flagship:

"The famed Midway-class formed the nucleus of Earth's wartime defense, with the Midway herself at the head of the fleet. Modified and improved over the past twenty years, the current Midway-class ships differ only visually from the Confederation flagship."

It the Midway would be destroyed, I guess it should read "former Confederation flagship" or so. Still, no big deal if they actually want to have the Midway be destroyed.

But in skipping through the manual (God, it's such a great manual, awesome, awesome, awesome!), I stumbled upon something which I don't think is worth a new thread since the answer I gues is "we don't know", so here it is:

In the Port Broughton article, on page 51, right on the top it reads "...displaying the first ten Midways." I guess that means that more Midways were built or are at least planned.

That's in the past tense - "Midway herself at the head of the fleet" refers to "formed the nucleus of Earth's wartime defense"

I thought there was too much of a jump between WC4 and WCP, as if the entirety of the fleet was retired and replaced with Vesuvius and Midway class ships.

What about the two years from WC2 to WC3? Obviously everything wasn't retired and replaced - we just see different ships. The same can apply, plus a bit of new ship stuff, in the years between WC4 and WCP.

Back