Eugene Wilford or Daniel Wilford?

Aeronautico

Rear Admiral
This has confused me for a while, so I thought I should get this cleared up. In Wing Commander IV, Vice Admiral Wilford's first name was given as "Eugene", but when he becomes Captain of the Midway in Prophecy, his name seems to have been changed to "Daniel". Seems to be the same individual, and they are played by the same actor.

So with all that established, is it Daniel or Eugene Wilford? From what I have observed, Daniel is generally accepted as his true name, but I must verify this. What was this, some sort of retcon of established facts? Seems like a totally needless change, but I digress.

It's the other way round - he was Daniel in WC4. Then, in WCP, the CAG calls him Eugene once, in a late-game cutscene (don't remember which - possibly the one where Blair wants to fly to the wormhole).

IIRC, this is a leftover from an earlier WCP script where the character was not supposed to be Wilford. I think...

I'm quite certain that the name Eugene is never mentioned in WCP. Is it perhaps from a WCP draft script?

What it comes down to for stuff like this is that it's not for us to pick which is "right." In any kind of series like this, you'll find naming flubs. Maybe there was a good reason (avoiding confusion with another similarly named character), maybe it was an oversight. The important thing is to note what exists - if he's Daniel in WC4, state that. If he's Eugene in Prophecy, cite exactly where that comes from. In-universe, it's perfectly plausible for one to be a middle name (and perhaps a future footnote will make mention of a "Daniel Eugene Wilford" and clear things up), but the inclusion of both is important from our perspective.

I don't recall 'Eugene' being said in the video (I might be wrong)... I believe it comes from Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander Prophecy

Back