Episode 4 hangs

Chaosbringer

Rear Admiral
Hello there, and i'm sorry if this was answered before.
I downloaded episode 4 and when i start the first mission, i press the autopilot and the games hangs (stops).
It didn't happen on the first three episodes.
Thanks in advance for your answer.

You need to provide a bit more info first. System Specs, etc.

What exactly happens when it "hangs?" Screen freeze? quits to desktop? etc.

Sorry about the lack of info.
The screen freezes when i press autopilot, and i have to restart my computer.
My system is a pentium 200 Mhz 64Mb RAM, 4GB of free space disk and 4mb video drive. Operating system Windows 98 SE.

Perhaps my computer became too old for this game? The simulator works fine, and the first 3 episodes worked fine also.

Hmmm, do the other episodes all still work fine? The missions with the Shok'lars, the Arrow, and the Hakaga cutscenes, do those still work fine now, but Ep 4 doesn't?

They did, i just started from when i left off in the episode 3. I'll try and play the older missions and check it out.

Yep, please check out those specific situations if you can. The only "special" thing I can think of that happens after you autopilot in the first mission in Ep 4 are either Shoklars or lots of ships with some higher res textures... and both of those things have already shown up elsewhere, so it would be good if you could confirm if these other cases do work.

Also, are you running in D3D? Are you able to test both modes?

I'm running the game in Directx, in OpenGL works too slow.
Resolution: 640x480, and i set all the graphic options to the minimun.
The cutscenes are ok, except for a little delay when a capship is close (detailed texture, i think) but that happened before.

I'm starting to think the problem is my pc. In any case, i still have to check the older missions (and try to remember which mission was the one with the shok'lars)

Edit: i played a few of the missions, in all of them the screen freezed during combat. In the first mission of ep. 4, it does when i press "A". I doesn't even show the classic autopilot scene.

So, it seems your computer has indeed become to old to run Standoff. :(

The Shoklars use a bit more polygons and a lot more textures than regular fighters (textures similar in size can be seen in the Kilrathi Frigate, the Hakaga, and other such ships), which are probably the cause of your hangs.

That's too bad, however, i finally have an excuse to buy a new pc :p

So, i'll start gathering money.
Thank you for your help!!

My system is a pentium 200 Mhz 64Mb RAM, 4GB of free space disk and 4mb video drive. Operating system Windows 98 SE.

Perhaps my computer became too old for this game?
I would say so, yes. :) I had a similar system (a Pentium 166, in fact), and running Unknown Enemy slowed the system to a crawl on the higher resolution settings.

I'm sure you can build a modest system (by current standards) easily capable of playing Standoff for a reasonable price. Even in a technology-sparse country like Australia (by US standards, anyway), you could put together a budget system for a few hundred dollars.

Yeah, a Standoff-able computer should be pretty cheap to build nowadays, it's all the other games that are the problem. :p

We have no "official" system requirements, of course (since we don't have a room full of computers to test this thing on... we don't have a room full of anything :p) but I think something with 256 Mb of ram, a 1 Ghz processor, and a GeForce from the 5xxx series or maybe even a GeForce 4 MX should be enough (if anyone with such a system is around, correct me if I'm wrong).

Even in Brazil a system like that wouldn't set you back more than R$ 400 or so, the situation in Argentina is probably similar. I know for a fact that it runs perfectly on my system at any resolution, in openGL mode, which is gorgeous. (AMD Athlon 64 1.7Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, GeForce 5200 FX) though in D3D it slows down when there's too much action on screen (but this shouldn't be an issue since ideally we plan to fix all openGL mode compatibility issues).

There you go, so it seems even openGL hasn't upped our previous system requirements of "any video card from the hardware T&L era."

Great info!

I think the cost is around U$S 400 in my country to get a passable computer, so i just need U$S 350 more :p

Luckily, i can still use the simulator :)

Hello there, and i'm sorry if this was answered before.
I downloaded episode 4 and when i start the first mission, i press the autopilot and the games hangs (stops).
It didn't happen on the first three episodes.
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Hey Chaosbringer, my computer hanged on that mission as well, but it was only temporarily in my case. You can try alt-tabbing out of the program, that seems to fix the hang immediately for my system.

If that fixes things, it sounds like there's something really odd going on with thread issues or event handling or whatever.

Back