ea classic cdrom privateer

Romale

Spaceman
okay uoto run brings up a program called gateway which has a big shiny gray button called INSTALL which doesn't do a goddamn thing it just sits there and looks confused. so i ignored gateway went to install hit it, it brings up dos prompt i install yada yada yada ANYWAY since it obviously is no where near 95+ complient, and my expertise with dos is limited since i use linux, was looking for some help in how to configure dos settings ect. so a. the game runs and b. i can use either a joystick or my mouse to fly with cuz keyboard keys are so freaking lame it aint even fun last time i tried to play snes version of wcsm on computer i died cuz of keyboard:>

Hey, no prob...

Okay, first off it's worth the trouble to getting Privateer to work; I can honestly say it's my favorite game ever.

Anyways, depending on your sound card, this could be easy or possible a bit difficult. First of all, you need to edit your autoexec.bat and config.sys files so you can boot up into dos. Go to start -> run -> sysedit to bring up a neat text editor. Make your autoexec.bat file look like this:

Code:
C:\MOUSE\ctmouse.com

*Note - Download CTMouse and place it in the mouse folder on drive C to have a working mouse driver.

Save the autoexec.bat file and close it. Next the config.sys should look like this:

Code:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=c:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERSHIGH=30

That's all that should be required. In order to get around using a CD-rom in DOS, install the game from windows first. Run the Install.exe off the Privateer CD and make sure no Sound or Midi device is selected. Change the install directory if you want but i'd recommend leaving it, unless you don't have at least 100mb free on drive C. Anyways, click on Install with these options and it should install without a problem. Now, copy the priv.tre and the rf.tre files from the Privateer CD rom to c:\privater, or the directory you installed to. In c:\privater, edit the priv.cfg so that it says "=c:\privater\priv.tre" without the quotes.

After doing that, you should be good to reboot the system. After the machine is finished running the memory test, hold down the ctrl button or press F8 to bring up the Boot Option Screen. Select the option "Command Prompt Only." It should take you to the command prompt. From there, test to see if Privateer will run:

Code:
c:\>cd privater
c:\>priv

If you had a sound or a midi device selected when you installed, it might freeze up on you.

That's all I can help you with until you give me the name of your Soundcard. After that, you should be able to use your Joystick and have sound.

*Note - If you have a SBLive, you might be kinda screwed.

[Edited by Farfel on 03-08-2001 at 08:26]

Well, first you... oh. Farfel already got here.

Nicely done, Farfel; looks like that should work.

whew....

Hehe, thanks. I was thinking about you the whole time I was writing it. "Will he aprove of this?" "Will I look like a moron to him?" "What am I doing, i'm not competent enough to tell him this!" etc..

Back