Do they still use cars in WC?

Aeronautico

Rear Admiral
Okay, this is totally random and possibly even irrelevant, but I have to know: Are people still using cars in the WC universe? Are there cars on any of the colonies anymore? Has there ever been an explicit mention of cars still being used?

This is just a question I had to know out of curiosity.

Yeah, they apparently use Deloreans! When those babies hit eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

Whether or not they're literal "cars," WC very much has a variety of familiar and futuristic personal civilian vehicles. Privateer is a great source of them. Also see the train at Oxford and utility trucks in the asteroid bases.

Ah, cool! Kind of a mix of hover cars and standard cars. Wonder if the Big Three have expanded to the Gemini Sector?

Yeah, they apparently use Deloreans! When those babies hit eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

They actually reopened the Delorean Factory some years back, however the new models are not made of fibreglass and stainless steel the original DMC-12 had. Which is too bad because the original had simple components, and is a very cheap car to drive and now an oldtimer, so it is clear of roadtaxes. The only problems with it are when you go shopping with it is that people stare and look you in the eyes as if you just came from another planet, and well it's not a sportscar really, trying to get "that baby to hit 88 MPH" is a technical feat itself. I wouldn't mind to have one around as something to toy with as a hobby or a sunday car, but the older models are collectors items, and I'd rather invest my money in something serious. If you really want to hit the streets and have people staring buy a black 1980's Trans-am or a Firebird II, or just purchase a 1960's batmobile replica. You can order your time-machine from www.delorean.com

And ofcourse there are still cars cars around the WC era, you need some method of transportation that's pretty easy to handle, and it's not like I have an autogiro in front of a house or a jetpack in the hallway....

I seem to remember something that looked like cars driving around if you hit the losing end of WC3 where the White House is on fire from the Kilrathi bombardment.

We certainly see utility vehicles with tires on the flight decks of various carriers -- on the Victory in Wing Commander III (you can blow it up! no one ever cares!) or on the Tiger's Claw in both Academy and the movie (a refueling truck on Academy... the famous 'push them off the flight deck' machine in the film).

I seem to remember something that looked like cars driving around if you hit the losing end of WC3 where the White House is on fire from the Kilrathi bombardment.

No cars there; maybe in the Wing Commander IV Washington DC landing?

(We do see tanks with treads, hover fields and legs in various places, though!)

Edit again -- isn't there a hover limo of some sort in the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide?

Here we have one particular car that's able to fly and hover (the model doesn't have any wheels at least). The animations are directly from the Privateer models, i made a higher-res version but the upload limit for gifs is 200kb. The Delorian-kind has wheels and seems to retract them for flight.

Attachments

• Plasmacar.gif
    Plasmacar.gif
    115.9 KB · Views: 187
Admit it, its not the flying, you want it because of its mounted plasmagun. Which, now that i think about it, is just as useful in a traffic jam.

I can neither confirm nor deny your statement. Though I will say my road rage tirades are rather infamous around my neighborhood. A plasma cannon would definitely help that.

Be kind of like the Crash Bandicoot commercial where he's driving a tank. He has this old guy sitting behind him laying on his horn, "Hey come on, move that piece of junk!!!"

Next think you know, you hear loud mechanical cranking and this massive cannon turns to face the and crash is in the turret, "Yeah ok, HONK THE HORN at me again pal come on!"

Back