DLL missing?

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
Hi I just wanted to start Standoff and I got the following problem. While the game itself seams to run fine I can't get into the option menue from the Standoff launcher.
It tells me that their is a dll missing named mssdtfmt.dll.

What does this dll do and where can I find it?

Looks like Pierre has missed a dependency, a quick google shows that msstdfmt.dll is part of Visual Studio.

Many of the google hits seem to offer it for download, you should be able to just put it in the secret ops dir once you have it.

Hi, as Pedro said it's probably that I missed a dependency. Most people wouldn't notice as the Visual Basic runtime files are installed with so many applications (like Microsoft Office, for example), so we never realised it in our test phase.

Please try downloading and installing the Visual Basic 6 Run-time files package (from Microsoft's site), and tell us if your problem is solved.

I allready downloaded it from somewhere else and used the "regsvr32 c:\msstdfmt.dll" command to install the file...as it was said on the website.
It solved the problem and now I can edit the resolution and stuff. I have to play the game from the start again but even there you can see improvements and it looks better then before. Nicely done guys.
Just one question...did you lower the difficulty for the first missions?
Last time I played I have to replay each mission at least one time on ace level.

For the previous episodes, you mean? We didn't... but we did :p. To be more precise, the very first episode of Standoff was released before HCl produced for us the patch that changes the refire rate for multiple guns (in WCP, when you fired two guns of the same type, their refire delay was added together; this was unlike every other WC game) to a more normal rate. Consequently, the first episode has become a bit easier.

Just one question...did you lower the difficulty for the first missions?
Last time I played I have to replay each mission at least one time on ace level.
Hehe, not really. But as every episode cranked the difficulty a notch higher than the previous one, I guess you just got better :p

Wait till you get into some of the Ep4 missions...there's one in particular (uhhhmmmm) that is can be real pain in the ass. All about being somewhere else FAST. You'll know what I mean. :D

The stuff with the refirerate reminds me of our own problems with that. Our engine also had that problem for some time ^_^

As for me getting better...no not realy. I haven't played it for a long long time...I haven't played anything for some time now....so I guess its realy the change of the refire rate.

A completly other thing is that I got the impression that the enemy are eather allways faster then me or using there afterburners quite a lot. I haven't noticed that before but lately I don't get my finger from the afterburner ^_^

Something else...is there a shortcut to get directly into ep4? Everytime before an Ep gets released I screw my installation and loose my savegame.
If not its not that bad. The game is still fun to play and one of the few WC games I haven't played through a hundret times...maybe just 98 times ^_^

Something else...is there a shortcut to get directly into ep4? Everytime before an Ep gets released I screw my installation and loose my savegame.
No, there isn't. What you see in Episode 4 depends on what happens in Episode 3, and Episode 2... and even Episode 1. So, playing only with Episode 4 would damage the experience a lot.

I have my full installation of EP1-3 residing in program files\origin systems\ssecret ops\

I can't get EP4 in it, copying my STsave dir did do something, but now i try to land after completing a mission and the game crashes after the landing sequence :confused:

Do you mean that Ep 4 won't recognize where the proper folder is? Did you move it since you installed SO or Ep 3? If you didn't, then Ep 4 should find the correct folder and installing Ep 4 should not mess with your savegames at all, so let us know if that's not how it went.

Also, here's all you need to copy to have a proper backup of your progress:
- STHISTORY folder
- STSAVE folder
- stautosave.gsw
- streplay.gsw

oops. what function does streplay.gsw serve? I deleted it, but my old savegames still seem to work...

None of the above fixes have helped me any, for some reason I can't get the regsvr to do it, I keep getting a 0x8002801c error. The VB package doesn't seem to help either. I'm on Vista, so if anyone has any ideas go ahead and shoot, otherwise can the Standoff team please post up when the new installer is up and ready to be downloaded? Pretty Please?

oops. what function does streplay.gsw serve? I deleted it, but my old savegames still seem to work...
I believe the replay save games are used when you select restart mission. AFAIK, it's another save game automatically generated whenever you start a mission.

go to google, search for mssdtfmt.dll, download it to your windows\system folder, go to run, type in regsvr32 mssdtfmt.dll click ok and try running standoff again. I had the same error when I tried to edit the options but doin that worked.

go to google, search for mssdtfmt.dll, download it to your windows\system folder, go to run, type in regsvr32 mssdtfmt.dll click ok and try running standoff again. I had the same error when I tried to edit the options but doin that worked.

I get an error message: LoadLibrary(mssdtfmt.dll) failed - The specified module could not be found.

What am I doing wrong?

Vandrvekn

Hi, as Pedro said it's probably that I missed a dependency. Most people wouldn't notice as the Visual Basic runtime files are installed with so many applications (like Microsoft Office, for example), so we never realised it in our test phase.

Please try downloading and installing the Visual Basic 6 Run-time files package (from Microsoft's site), and tell us if your problem is solved.

Nope, this didn't work for me either.

Vandrvekn

I fixed it by copying the saves, but my flight history remains gone :-( .

My default SO folder was " Origin systems\secret ops" I had no problem installing the previous episodes. I run XP professional

I got my installation from a german magazine, years ago, they put the entire game on one disc. It was a german magazine.

I would like to thank you again for this wonderful game and the incredible improvements done.

Hope one day there be a fullblown wingcommanderish WoW, where you can just walk in a carrier, report in, take am assignment, and fly off together on a mission.

And no, Arena is not my style of game, It's good and fun, but does not capture the feeling of being there" for me.

Back