Direct access to episode 5 or savegames

A

andö

Hello there,

really nice project. I love especially that it feels like the old wing commander 1 but loks great.

I wanted to know if there is any chance to get some savegames. I played episode 1-4 some years before when episode 5 was not ready yet. After some time i deleted the game. Now I want to play also episode 5. I remembered that it is about the defendence of the earthg so it might be fun.

But.. I dont want to play all 4 episodes again. Is there a way to go directly to episode 5 or are there some savegames I can dowload

greetings

There isn't a way to directly go to Ep5 except through a save game.

You should replay the first four episodes though and make your own way to Ep5. (As there are the Winning and Losing paths to take through Eps 3, 4 and 5). It will make it that much more rewarding to stop the missiles.

I would strongly advise you against starting in Episode 5. Standoff's difficulty curve is a bit spiky (not that this is unusual for a game with "Wing Commander" in its title), but trying to come back to the game with First Encounters (one of the harder missions in the game) followed by Wild Weasel (almost certainly the hardest mission on the winning path) would be a recipe for frustration. Additionally, Episode 5 added extra content to Episode 1, so you'd miss that if you did.

Not to mention if you want to play the *losing* path of Episode 5 (which you should...it's AWESOME. The missions are in my opinion much funner than the winning path ones).

But trying to jump in cold to a mission like Grand Entrance or Rearguard Duties, let alone Too Much Company (arguably the hardest mission in the entire game after Jump Point Defense), when you haven't flown in Standoff for several years...well, I bet it wouldn't be very fun.

I second Dundradal's suggestion of playing through the first four episodes again. I did when they released Ep 5 (to see the new, prettier graphics if nothing else), and it was very worth it. If it feels too redundant, try throwing a key mission here or there to get the losing path...those missions are much more interesting in many cases than the winning path ones (to know how to get to them, you can use my branching guide here: http://download.wcnews.com/files/mods/standoff_mission_tree.pdf).

Not only that, but we went back and added some cutscenes in Ep1 and polished off some bugs.

Yeah, Episode 1 is much better with the Ep. 5 package. That said, I do sympathise with ya - it's definitely a pain having to go through ten hours of gameplay (or however long it takes) that you'd already seen just to see the new stuff. Always tough to find time for stuff like that :(.

Thanks guys for your posts. But I think i will not play through all these missions again. I am also rarely watch a movie twice....

I wait than for the upcoming wc saga to dry my thurst for wing commander.

Back