Different Direction....Robotech?

Technically speaking, the Cat's Eye recon aircraft doesn't have any weapons. I can understand if you want to change that. (However, there is the armed VF-1 Valkyrie variant known as the VEF-1 that has a EWACS system mounted on it.)

QUOTE]

Are you talking about the VE-1 Elintseeker? I thought that fighter was only specific to Macross and not in Robotech?

Yes I see the problem. FC expects each material to have a .bmp texture. It doesn't handle just painted polygon meshes

Yes! I get that, now. I've been able to fix it AND make some adjustments to my other meshes to make them look better.

YAY for multiple texture maps!

Indeed

Technically, you are quite correct. I do not believe the Elintseeker was seen in animation. However, both Robotech.Com and the new Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG Books both have her under the VEF-1. Technically, there is also the VF-1R as well (Which was an animation flaw that was retconned into a fighter in Robotech: Battlecry.)

Technically, you are quite correct. I do not believe the Elintseeker was seen in animation. However, both Robotech.Com and the new Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG Books both have her under the VEF-1. Technically, there is also the VF-1R as well (Which was an animation flaw that was retconned into a fighter in Robotech: Battlecry.)

Thanks to your first reply to this thread, I have since located and downloaded the RPG Sourcebook. I have been able to modify all the weapons on all the Veritechs and Pods to thier correct names and numbers (based on what was in the RPG). I'm in the process of doing the same to the capitol ships right now.

Also, I had already incorporated the Elintseeker into the game when I first started, but I was considering removing it. Now that I see it in the sourcebook, I'll keep it in and figure out some way to put it in a mission or two. It's the same with the Dragon II (originally called a Falcon). I don't know how I'll use it, but I always liked the shape and think I might be able to turn it into some sort of "trainer" aircraft.

You might want to consider regestering with this group so I can get direct messages to you...just in case. Besides, how do I get you to do voice acting if I cant get ahold of you?

Cheers, mate.

The VEF-1 would be good when you want a player based Cat's Eye-style recon mission. The best time for that would either be patrolling the Asteroid Belts or perhaps the gigantic debris field after the destruction of Dolza's fleet in Force of Arms.

And I think having the Dragon II as a trainer unit would be a great idea. Perhaps shortly before the Zentraedi attack on Macross island. (I wonder how hard it would be to rip audio from Robotech:Battlecry's Tutorial with Roy Fokker. The first set is using Fighter mode and would be a perfect set of audio cues for that mission if you wanted to use a named character. (Otherwise, fan voice acting would be a way to go.)

Besides Quail and folks responding here... another possible idea for voice acting would be to look at something like the Voice Acting Alliance. That forum specifically has areas for fan projects and games... (The only sad thing will be the fact that you might have to contend with Macross purists who get all uppity everytime the word Robotech is mentioned around them.)

Took your advice and registered! Always up for talking... love discussing the Robotechs!

(I wonder how hard it would be to rip audio from Robotech:Battlecry's Tutorial with Roy Fokker. The first set is using Fighter mode and would be a perfect set of audio cues for that mission if you wanted to use a named character. (Otherwise, fan voice acting would be a way to go.)

Took your advice and registered! Always up for talking... love discussing the Robotechs!

You're welcome to make those audio clips yourself. Either rip them or make your own. If you want to rip them, I'd say get a softeware emulator that can run the PS2 version on your PC. It wouldn't be that hard to capture a video of the screen, then extract the audio and save them to WAV's or MP3's.

Just thinking out loud...

You're welcome to make those audio clips yourself. Either rip them or make your own. If you want to rip them, I'd say get a softeware emulator that can run the PS2 version on your PC. It wouldn't be that hard to capture a video of the screen, then extract the audio and save them to WAV's or MP3's.

Just thinking out loud...

If you can convert the source audio directly that would be the better option quality-wise. I'm sure there's many PS2 tools that will let you extract the actual audio files and from there all you have to do is convert them to a format usable by Flight Commander. It's just a mattler of googliing and then experimenting with the various software to find what works. It's certainly less labor intensive than trying to record the game and trying to force every variation of the dialogue from it.

If you can convert the source audio directly that would be the better option quality-wise. I'm sure there's many PS2 tools that will let you extract the actual audio files and from there all you have to do is convert them to a format usable by Flight Commander. It's just a mattler of googliing and then experimenting with the various software to find what works. It's certainly less labor intensive than trying to record the game and trying to force every variation of the dialogue from it.

Soud Forge 10 for conversion and audio editing.

No other software necessary. All-in-one wonder software.

Time and Space

I'm trying to figure out how to make in-atmosphere levels, but I'm not having lots of luck making the background realistic enough. When I replace the .png files in Flight Commander I end up making the cube that I'm flying inside visible.

If that doesn't make sense to anyone, try to replace the stars_top.png with a 1024x1024 cloud image and you'll see what I mean.

If I can't figure this out (and I don't see a way around it) then my game will be all space and no planet-side missions. That's kind of a bummer...but still do-able.

Having fun with my new RPG Sourcebook

vf1r.jpg

Hey since I now have free time to do it, would you also like to send me some specific maybe in mission lines?

I haven't really wrote up a script yet...

I'm working on mission scripting at this point, so shortly I will be able to tell you more precisely what I'll need.

Hey SAF,

Do you want to beta test my Ship Editor? Let me know of any issues or exceptions that you get?

Unfortunately, the resulting ship.xmls won't be readable in FC 1.6 (without converting the weapon tags back to weapon numbers) and you will have to correct the weapons for all of your ships within the editor (via dropdown box) as the editor doesn't automatically convert weapon formats between FC 1.6 and FC 1.7.

Obviously, we are still a few months or more away from an FC 1.7 release, but this will give you a chance to update your fighters, capships, and weapons.xml preemptively.

Edit: Oh and the rotation matrix to angle and back works perfectly.

Hey SAF,

Do you want to beta test my Ship Editor? Let me know of any issues or exceptions that you get?

Unfortunately, the resulting ship.xmls won't be readable in FC 1.6 (without converting the weapon tags back to weapon numbers) and you will have to correct the weapons for all of your ships within the editor (via dropdown box) as the editor doesn't automatically convert weapon formats between FC 1.6 and FC 1.7.

Obviously, we are still a few months or more away from an FC 1.7 release, but this will give you a chance to update your fighters, capships, and weapons.xml preemptively.

Edit: Oh and the rotation matrix to angle and back works perfectly.

Sure, I can give her a test. I'm working on two other projects at the same time that I'm working on my Robotech mod and neither of them use this same FC engine. I'll do what I can :)

I'm returning to my FC mod after a short break. I finished (and published) a Star Trek novel...then took on the challenge of starting another one. What was I thinking!? One of my biggest challenges in my FC Robotech Mod was the fact that I didn't own a joystick when I started this mod (it's okay...you can laugh). I picked up a sweet Thrustmaster at a pawnshop for $2.00. Yep. $2.00. I'm all set to start my mod back up.

Anyways, I created a webiste to put my books, games, and graphics on (and this is where my FC Robotech mod will be, once it's finished). Check it out.

http://maincore1701.homeserver.com/blog

Update:

The game is coming together nicely. I'm looking at a late winter 2011 or early spring 2012 release for the mod.

I've been able to secure several actors and actresses to lend voice talent to the game, which I feel will make it more rounded than if I were to just use audio clips from the Robotech series. The script I've written fits in nicely with the RT universe while not contradicting anything that took place in the series. In fact, it meshes extremely well with the RT universe.

I have several more 3D animation cut scenes to complete, as well as a few "bar" conversation parts, and then I'll be finishing up the capital ships weapons...but all-in-all the game is very playable at this point.

More screenshots coming soon...

Back