Different Direction....Robotech?

I don't think that ability is currently possible with the current code. You could add in this feature outside of the game, though. A quick little GUI program that allows the player to enter a name, which then edits the your campaign.xml file. Maybe a custom-made launcher or something.

Well, what you could do is never use callsigns. Call everyone by their first names in everything, comms and all that. Then, instead of putting a set name, name the player "Enter First name here."

But, that's just the easy way out, if all else fails.

Though, I think it'd be hard to do. You'd have to find some way to call the players name up in game because his/her name isn't already set. So voice acting could be tough. You could do what Bioware did with Mass Effect and make the last name set in stone, or his/her callsign.

I think I like playing an already named character over entering a name. More can be done with from a story/narrative side if the character is fleshed out rather than a blank slate for the player to fill the shoes of.

Just a thought.

You can already have a screen to enter a callsign. It's used as the player's name in comms. Just start a new campaign to try it out. You can also control the formal name used in the logon screen. it's in *.campaign.xml
For example:

playername="Lt. Lance Casey"

Which appears at the top when the player is asked to enter a callsign.

You can already have a screen to enter a callsign. It's used as the player's name in comms. Just start a new campaign to try it out. You can also control the formal name used in the logon screen. it's in *.campaign.xml
For example:

playername="Lt. Lance Casey"

Which appears at the top when the player is asked to enter a callsign.

Seems a little too complicated. I'm still not sure weather I want to be my own pilot or someone pre-created. I guess it's only a secondary problem. The real trick is making a good combat experience, and then enhancing that experience with a strory line. At least I already have the plot and some minor characters already taken care of.

Well see when I get back from my honeymon/vacation next week. Updates will follow shortly.

Just an update:

1. Got all the enemy pods in the game.
2. Tweaked the RDF Capitol ship Armor Platform to the proper scale.
3. Got all the weapons updated and placed properly for the Veritech's.
4. Got all the audio ripped from all the 85 original episodes, and I've created clips from the first 6 episodes.
5. Got video clips for 5 RDF pilots (including one female) and 3 enemy pilots (including 1 female) for communications sequences imported and working.
6. Changed the icon and splash screen to new renders.
7. Changed the default message screen, kill board, and campaign backgrounds to new images.

New Images

Slowly coming together....one thing at a time....

img1.jpg

bar.jpg

img3.jpg

img2.jpg

img4.jpg

Audio and Stuff Update

I've finished ripping audio from all 36 episodes of the original Robotech series. I now have enough audio for 5 RDF pilots, background sounds, briefings, and enemies. I'm excited to be putting these all in-game and should have it done by 05-16-2011.

Also, I've reworked the FC hanger to make it appear more "robotech", as well as added a post briefing 3D animation that blends the existing FC hanger mesh with the SDF-1 model I have.

Looking good so far.

This project is definitely coming along. Much of the time-sapping (and brick-walling) elements for modding is customizing the engine with audio, visuals, models, and stats.

Looking good so far.

This project is definitely coming along. Much of the time-sapping (and brick-walling) elements for modding is customizing the engine with audio, visuals, models, and stats.

The problem with stats is that no one seems to agree on weapon names, numbers, and configurations across the Robotech universe. The cartoon shows one thing, the RPG from Palladium shows something else, and the internet again shows something else.

I've mostly decided to stick with the RPG (since I have all the 80's manuals on PDF) and the cartoon. If I can't find the info from those sources, I've been taking things from the internet.

All of the major characters are represented in voices, although their names have been changed to protect the innocent ;)

Also, I need to reconfigure my SDF-1 and Zentradi capitol ship models. I think I have 5 different surfaces on each of those that need to be changed to single 256x256 maps. Once that's done, I can add turrets and THEN I can put a few missions together.

Also, I need to reconfigure my SDF-1 and Zentradi capitol ship models. I think I have 5 different surfaces on each of those that need to be changed to single 256x256 maps. Once that's done, I can add turrets and THEN I can put a few missions together.

There's no need to use a single texture file. Objs can have .mtl files, which allow you to use multiple textures on a single model.

There's no need to use a single texture file. Objs can have .mtl files, which allow you to use multiple textures on a single model.

That didn't work for me. Everytime I try to load a model with multiple textures, FC kicks me back to windows. It was only after I realized that it I needed single textures that I got all my models imported.

That didn't work for me. Everytime I try to load a model with multiple textures, FC kicks me back to windows. It was only after I realized that it I needed single textures that I got all my models imported.

If you could please send me the files for a problematic model with multiple textures, I can take a look. I should also add that the bitmaps don't have to be 256x256. They just have to be a power of 2 on each side.

Some notes

I am a huge Wing Commander and Robotech fan... so seeing this is pretty awesome!

A few notes I have:

Admittedly, you are going off the older Robotech RPG source material... so some of this is perfectly understandable. With the Shadow Chronicles, Harmony Gold revised pretty much EVERYTHING in Robotech and that's been well documented online and in the NEW Robotech RPG books Palladium published starting three years ago. Everything has nice, new, official names and such. These are kinda used across the board at this point.

In the players quarters, the poster of Minmei you have is from Macross: Do You Remember Love. While it is a pretty poster and all... that outfit and look was never in Robotech. It's not a BIIIG deal... but it a little jarring for fans of both the original Japanese Macross and Robotech.

The spelling of Zentraedi has an e towards the end...

Also, the standard Regult doesn't have missiles. The primary missile boat of the Zentraedi is the Fighter Pods and the Zentraedi Artillery Pods.

The new revised official name for Falcon is the F-203 Dragon II. Her weapons are listed as being the M-65 Rotary Auto Cannon, as well as six hard points for missiles.

The Regult's weapons are listed as 2 Heavy Particle Beam Cannons, 2 22.3mm Auto Cannons and the rear mounted Light Anti-Air Dual Laser Turret.

The Glaug's (Officer Pod) weapons are the 128mm Particle Charged Cannon, two Heavy Particle Beam Cannons on the forearms, as well as 2 44mm Electromagnetic Rail Guns. The cockpit has 2 22.3mm Auto Cannon turrets as well as 2 150mm Short Range Missile Tubes.

Technically speaking, the Cat's Eye recon aircraft doesn't have any weapons. I can understand if you want to change that. (However, there is the armed VF-1 Valkyrie variant known as the VEF-1 that has a EWACS system mounted on it.)

The GU-11 btw, is only used on the VF-1 Valkyrie series as it is a held rifle like weapon. Any other rotary weapon is typically an auto cannon (Usually the M-65) Also in contention is the nose lasers of the VF-1 Valkyrie. Typically those should be its nose landing lights. However, two scenes done by poor animation studios in the 80s show them shooting lasers. The Retcon idea is that the nose lasers are ONLY on the SDF-1's airwing. As the modder, that is your choice on how you would go with that.

Also, if you would ever need voice acting, I am certainly willing to volunteer for that task!

I hope I don't come off as negative or anything! I'm in love with this idea! Robotech is an amazing show and Flight Commander is a damn good engine! I'd love to see this project kick some serious ass! Skull Squadron for life!

Thanks for the input :)

Most of the weapons you see on these screens are incorrect and I am aware of that. This game is progressing in different directions at different times. One minute I'll be working on a Cats Eye model, the next I'll be tweaking a sound effect for a laser blast. Like making a movie, nothing goes in order from start to finish. This is a work in progress, not a playable "real" game at this point.

These screens are to simply show progress, gather ideas from fans like yourself, and move on. It's by no means a finished product.

Having said that, I bring you the new Crew Quarters:

scr1.jpg

AND...the SDF-1!!!

sdf1-1.jpg

Back