Descent: Underground - Oldschool PC Gamers Unite - Kickstarter Ends April 10th 2015!

GunnyWPI1999

Petty Officer
latest

Fellow Wingnuts,

Wing Commander III/IV veteran Eric "WingMan" Petersen and several former members of Origin Systems and Star Citizen development teams are working on a AAA prequel to the classic Descent franchise. Their kickstarter ends at the end of April 10th 2015. You might be interested in joining the fun and help revitalize the PC gaming industry even further.

Don't forget to mention that "Gunny" sent you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground

0256f8d8731f3655d7c90533e17058ea_original.jpg

descendentstudios.com

Last edited:
From what I understand, the project combines elements of Descent, minecraft, and world of tanks into a sort of spiritual successor to Descent. It sounds interesting, though I'm not sure I quite care for the heavy reliance on fan input. I'd rather back someone with a completely clear vision and goal upon which I can give feedback. I'm sure they'll put out a pretty cool product but until I see more it's a "wait and see" for me.

Hey I trust Eric Wingman to do atleast a decent job on it. Anways, we all asked for descent to make a comeback, here it is! I pledged !

To be honest I think I'd much rather get a few friends on dosbox and play decent2 and have fun playing. At the the end of the day that's the game I really want to play, and it still works fine. Not some modern remake that doesn't appear to have much of a defined vision of it's own, accept be an amalgamation of other games. I'm also tired of AAA multi centric games in general, get some writers, some decent ai coders and make an interesting challenging campaign that can stand on its own, because that's what really sold the original games. I miss the time when multi was just icing on the cake. I know proper AI coding is hard, but multi shouldn't be a replacement. Also they use the term voxel like it's some sort of catch phrase. What kind of viable gameplay strategies would result from destroyable terrain? Because that's what Id be actually interested in. Honestly, I'd be surprised if there really were any. Or at least they haven't laid it out very well yet.

I think it's great that they actually got the Descent license... (Does that include Descent: Freespace? hehe). It could certainly be fun, but I really don't see much that makes me want to jump up and pledge early. I'm sure their team will deliver a good game, and I'd likely pay to play it when it's released. But I honestly just don't care about whatever bonuses there are for getting in early.

honestly I just pledged 5 bucks to help them out. I won't buy the game until I see much more convincing gameplay. But I still have high hopes for this game. Hope they stick with the classic gameplay and just give us our modern day graphics.

Close Race... I hope we make it.

Btw. in the Hard Light Forums some guy try to put the game into the UE4 Engine. Here is the fanship from Blue Planet in UE4:
qZnYyCw.jpg

b7Ulmnx.jpg

So you can think, how god a UE4 Freespace could look :D

So you can think, how god a UE4 Freespace could look :D
Or, ahem, how good a UE4 UE could look :D.

Come to think of it, it really wouldn't be a bad idea at all to develop a Wing Commander modding framework for Unreal or Unity. In fact, it would be downright awesome. The only trouble is that while setting things up so that ships and stuff can be imported is not a big deal at all, a decent combat AI is a somewhat more intimidating proposition.

I'm glad that this got funded. I have fond memories of playing the original Descent on my PowerMac when I was a kid.

Back