Countdown to Titan

Meson

Swabbie
Banned
It is exactly one month until the probe Huygens makes its landing on the Saturn moon Titan.

On December 17, the Cassini orbiter will be placed on a controlled collision course with Titan in order to release Huygens, and to prepare the probe for the lunar decent on January 14, 2005. Huygens is due to separate from Cassini on the morning of December 25 at about 05:08 CET to make its final approach towards the moon.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini-04zzzzx.html

I am starting this thread now so that we can begin planning our T-Day parties.

I think I remember reading about it right after it was launched. Back then, the 2004/2005 ETA seemed so far away.

Time flies while you have a probe flying through space. The world changed in that time as well.

The internet jerk cause celebre in 1997 was to scream about how Cassini's nuclear fuel would destroy the world when it took off.

That's what pretty much set my goal for life: burn down the internet.

Bandit LOAF said:
The internet jerk cause celebre in 1997 was to scream about how Cassini's nuclear fuel would destroy the world when it took off.

That's what pretty much set my goal for life: burn down the internet.

So when are you going to start?

Ridgerunner said:
Can I make a donation? You're going to need a cyber-heat source and some cyber-oxygen.

There's already enough hot air on the internet to feed a world fire on the scale of Jupiter. Extra oxygen isn't required.

Let us hope this one will be successful. I hate it when these missions fail. And I guess the cientists hete it too.

I'm not too familiar with this topic. Does anyone know why they chose Titan in particular? I'm quite interested in Europa myself.

Well firstly no one has ever really seen Titan's surface, and secondly it is thought that Titan may resemble what Earth looked like during its early years before life developed. So studying Titan at this stage would give us more info on the possible formation of life on Earth.

Back