Collectibles

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
We know that Strongblade is going to be selling replica swords from Outlander. This thread is for ideas of other kinds of tie-ins that you would like to see. At the very least I'd like there to be a novelization. A book always looks good on the shelf and often they use the shooting script as a basis so even have scenes that sometimes get left on the cutting room floor. A graphic novel is kind of a neat idea too but the not-so-good pathfinder went that route to the point people were claiming it was based on it (because the marketing team was trying to sell it to the '300' audience).

A game would be neat but games based on movies tend to be rushed and not very good because of the time constraints. There are exceptions like the Riddick games (the second one should be almost finished over at starbreeze studios). But there are some advantages to the new way effects are done. A lot of elements already exist such as scans of the vikings and 3D models for the creature and space ships etc etc.

Action figures would be neat but I hardly think the movie will be aimed at a yound enough audience to justify anything other than collectible larger figurines. But spaceship toys are always fun.. but again. Other than collectible replicas the movie will not be aiming at the younger audiences that these kinds of toys would make sense for.. For some reason the young at heart like myself don't count as much in that regard.

So, any other ideas? Press-on viking tattoos anyone? Or Moorwen halloween masks?

Any ideas

The problem with a graphic novel, video game or book is that they would all need a significant amount of lead time -- and such things also tend to get in trouble when there's no set release date for a film (look at Wing Commander, with its novelization showing up a month early and its action figures and prop replica coming six months later...) Anyway, if there's going to be a comic, book or game it's a good bet that they've already been in the works for quite a while - so you can probably do some research in those particular circles.

Action figures shouldn't be a problem -- the majority of the market these days is adult/collector oriented.

The problem with a graphic novel, video game or book is that they would all need a significant amount of lead time -- and such things also tend to get in trouble when there's no set release date for a film (look at Wing Commander, with its novelization showing up a month early and its action figures and prop replica coming six months later...) Anyway, if there's going to be a comic, book or game it's a good bet that they've already been in the works for quite a while - so you can probably do some research in those particular circles.

Action figures shouldn't be a problem -- the majority of the market these days is adult/collector oriented.

That's a good point.

When I talked with Strongblade previously some of the other items they mentioned were possibilites were pendants and things like that.

A curious side point: If you have an idea for a tie-in item and want to license the film, you need to get in touch with the Creative Licensing Corporation who just happen to be the same company that provided these very services for the Wing Commander movie. And with that project we got a Novel, Junior novelization, collectible pilgrim cross/knife. Confed handbook, action figures, and more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Some things like the ships for the action figures never made it past the prototype stage though and the Tiger Claw poster with cut-away sections disapeared along the way, but there were still a lot of cool things.

Right now I'd settle for the movie just coming out in theaters. I would assume novels, tie ins and related video games would be something that would be looked at if the film does well in the states and overseas. It wouldn't be prudent to do so if otherwise. I could see them doing something maybe later on if they do well, but first things first.

Right now I'd settle for the movie just coming out in theaters. I would assume novels, tie ins and related video games would be something that would be looked at if the film does well in the states and overseas. It wouldn't be prudent to do so if otherwise. I could see them doing something maybe later on if they do well, but first things first.

Unfortunately, that's not how it usually works. Things like that are tied into the marketing push that goes with the release of a movie. If Outlander came out next week and was awesome and did reasonably well, it'd still be mostly out of the collective consciousness in 2009. Virtually all tie-in novels, games and such are timed within a few weeks of a movie launch these days, sometimes timed to the same week.

Back