BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander Academy on DVD (September 1, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The impossible has happened: Wing Commander Academy is coming to DVD. The short-lived animated series, beloved by Wing Commander fans for its surprisingly mature storytelling and dedication to the continuity, is coming home. Visual Entertainment, Inc. has licensed the series from NBC/Universal and is putting out a two-disc set complete series set--all thirteen episodes. The series will be available on October 25. The DVDs are already available for pre-order through Amazon Canada, and more options should be available in the next two weeks. We've spoken with Brian Jedan of Side Road 5 Media Consulting, who is working on the release, and it's clear that he "gets us"--and wants to do whatever he can to make fans pleased with this set. To that end, he was kind enough to send along preliminary art for the box and discs (see below). We will have more information on this release as it becomes available along with retrospective material on the series. This is great news for Wing Commander fans everywhere, though: it's safe to say that no one, ever, expected this to happen.

--
Original update published on September 1, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody on my Christmas list is getting ten copies of Wing Commander Academy this year.

Out of interesting any chance of a R2 release? Also how is this going to affect WCA being available for download here? I'd always assumed you'd gotten away with it due to it being a sort of abandonware.

Failing a R2 release I'm sure LOAF will be more than happy to forward copies for us UK/EU fans :)

Is this the reason why the download links to the show aren’t working anymore?

If so it’s definitely worth losing the downloads to get an official DVD release and I plan to buy it even though I have them all on my hard drive.

I'll ping them about an R2 release.

Does Amazon work in reverse? I have no problem ordering DVDs from the French and UK Amazons.

We had permission to post Academy, from Origin--which was kind of a nebulous thing since it was partially owned by Universal... they just didn't care. But we have taken it down now.

Awesome! I love the art and also hope for a R2 release.

P.S. Can you point out the spelling mistake for Tolwyn on the back cover? :)

I can't believe this. I really, really can't believe this.

So does this mean we'll finally get that one episode without the A/V glitch in the beginning?

Hell yeah!

Not only is the Confederation growing, it's thriving!

I can't wait to see what stuff they put together for the release!

I'll be hanging out for the r4 release... if it ever happens... Loaf, if you're asking about an r2 release, could you maybe ask them about r4 also?

I'll ping them about an R2 release.

Does Amazon work in reverse? I have no problem ordering DVDs from the French and UK Amazons.

We had permission to post Academy, from Origin--which was kind of a nebulous thing since it was partially owned by Universal... they just didn't care. But we have taken it down now.

Were the academy episodes produced under a deal that didn't include Electronic Arts? Or by permission from Origin, did you mean Origin with EA's blessing?

Were the academy episodes produced under a deal that didn't include Electronic Arts? Or by permission from Origin, did you mean Origin with EA's blessing?
He means that Origin (EA) gave us permission to post WCA-TV... But NBC-Universal produced the show under a licensing deal with Origin/EA who own the WC IP. NBCU never ever officially gave anybody anything nor did they ever expresss any kind of opinion on us hosting them, for years. So LOAF means that our permission was nebulous because we had permission from EA but not NBCU. NBCU has all the distribution rights to the episodes of the TV show, whereas the IP belongs to EA.

This is totally awesome! I'd love it though if they had the music from the intros on the discs seperate to the episodes.... Academy was such a well done series, definately going to preorder this!

Back