BREAKING NEWS: EA Announces... Something? (February 21, 2008)

The word that is most curious to me here is "reinvents." Notice it is not revives, or any other word that would mean to bring back the way it was, necessarily. This is quite curious if it is a WC title. It would suggest that there will be something about it unlike any previous WC title (although one would hope that it contains enough of the elements of what WC games have been to this point).

I agree that it is likely there could be some FPS aspect. In my imagination, the first thing that appeared upon hearing this looked like a sort of "Battlefield: Wing Commander." Although I would certainly hope that if they took this route, they would still include a single-player story (more than just the outline of a story used in the Battlefield series).

I guess another option would be to through in an RTS element as well (if you are the CAG, this could make sense, although I would still want the ability to climb in a cockpit).

Another possiblity is that it may be an actual revisioning of the Wing Commander Universe: going back to its start and doing things somehow differently.

But I think I am putting the cart way ahead of the horse with these wonderings.

Oh well. I think I can rest assured that reinvents does NOT mean that the new elements will have anything even vaguely Pokemon-esque about them (famous last words).

A Starbreeze Wing Commander title would be fantastic given their previous games. Though I do think they would be suited to the Crusader series looking back upon their old games, I have no doubt whatsoever that these guys can pull off a A+ Wing Commander title if they tried. Now we wait and see - My fingers are crossed!

The word that is most curious to me here is "reinvents." Notice it is not revives, or any other word that would mean to bring back the way it was, necessarily.

I wouldn't worry about that too much at this point -- "reinvents" (along with "reimagines") is a current-generation favored PR buzzword which is used without the understanding that it angers sci fi geeks.

from the above article:

"Additional information about the Starbreeze project will follow in the coming months. For more information about other EA games, please visit http://info.ea.com."

how about then?

I wouldn't worry about that too much at this point -- "reinvents" (along with "reimagines") is a current-generation favored PR buzzword which is used without the understanding that it angers sci fi geeks.

I hope your right and they just mean a revival of the series. When I first read that word all I could think is that they were just going to "remake" whatever franchise they're doing from the beginning.
Throwing out everything already done and starting fresh. So if they did that to Wing Commander we'd all have to learn a whole new canon.

If they did mean "reinvents" in the bad way then I would doubt they wouldn't do it with Wing Commander. Only because of all the research they did for Arena and its manual (why would they go though so much trouble only to throw it all out?). From the codename "RedLime" I immediately thought of Crusader, and since that series has been dead for a while I think it could be "reinvented" without pissing too many people off. Also I think a series like Crusader would be more of Starbreeze's specialty.

Oh well, guess we're just going to have to wait and see...

I really did enjoy Riddick and The Darkness was full of style, flair and passion from the developer, a few design mistakes hindered it but nothing that would translate to a space combat title.

As LOAF said the engine isn't a problem, a FPS requires more sophisticated culling, in space combat a few LODs and the most basic of frustum culling and you're golden; it might just give them extra flexibility than a developer starting from scatch wouldn't have (such as the ability to explore your carrier?). I really can't see the negative in a developer having more tools are their disposal.

I'll say to the death that the Wii would be an excellent new home for space combat (control wise if not audience wise), but even if this is THE announcement I won't give up hope for a port/ spin-off some time in the future.

Wii/handheld/etc. ports do seem to be announced later these days -- and they'd probably be handled by a second group.

The Darkness is the closest I've come to wanting a PS3 game -- because of the absolutely genius idea of putting public domain movies on the disc to play on in-game screens..

I will take some reassurance in this, then. :)

I will take some reassurance in this, then. :)

I hope your right and they just mean a revival of the series. When I first read that word all I could think is that they were just going to "remake" whatever franchise they're doing from the beginning.
Throwing out everything already done and starting fresh. So if they did that to Wing Commander we'd all have to learn a whole new canon.

If they did mean "reinvents" in the bad way then I would doubt they wouldn't do it with Wing Commander. Only because of all the research they did for Arena and its manual (why would they go though so much trouble only to throw it all out?).

The good thing is that nobody's out there trying to make bad games and screwy experiences. If there's any underlying meaning to the word at all, and there's not much reason to believe there is, then it's a neat opportunity to dream about all the exciting and innovative new ways of experiencing Wing Commander there could be.

True, and that is the attitude in which I am trying to approach this. Certainly, there is no one out there who wants to make a bomb, especially with the great care for detail that was shown in the latest WC release. I can say I am confident that whatever they do, they will do it very well. I'm just curious about how much they have decided to innovate and how they have chosen to do so.

Nonetheless, I will gladly welcome a new Wing Commander PC title, and say this: it's about time! :) There was a time when I thought it was really over, but I'm glad I always allowed myself to hope. This just feeds thathope. Certainly, I feel much more excitement than I do any sort of unease. I just hope my system is buff enough to run it, if it is a WC title. ;)

All I have to say about this whole thing is that it's a dang good thing that it was announced for the PC because I just spent a good chunk of cash finally obtaining my first graphics card and if this was a console only party I'd personally gnaw on one of the cash registers at work until my brains fell out. Which is not to say I hate console gaming, my gamecube still works great for smash but I don't want to play a WC game on one... and can anyone say mod city?

So now I guess we just hope to death that this is a WC game, because this is the best news I've had in well over a year if that's the case.

redwood city? that aint far from my house... hrmmmm roll up in the beer truck to distract them.... leave doors open... do some recon... loose my job.... its worth it! just thinking that wing commander might be comin back to the pc make me... wanna... drink more to celebrate! oh yeah I currently deliver beer. no its not that cool of a job becuase I dont get to take breakage home... but possible new wing commander?!?!?! besides arena?????? yay.

Yes, they can be made to work for space combat, but none of the strengths of a BSP engine apply to that environment. Its not even worth generating a BSP tree, because the optimum tree is one huge leaf covering the entire play area. (Unless asteroids count as static terrain, but they are generally hideous shapes to carve with, when something like that turns up in an FPS level its normally explicitly subtracted from the world so that it doesn't effect the tree).

In short, its the wrong tool for the job. If its all you have, you can make it work. If you have the choice, you would find a better tool. And surely EA have a choice here. Which makes me suspect that, given the studio they chose and the tools used by that studio, they aren't making a classic wing commander game. Normally, Id be unhappy with that conclusion, but EA control a number of franchises, and there are many I would like to see brought back.

There's some amount of overlap, and it might be possible from using a FPS engine.
But as a programmer, I'd want to optimize the algorithms and data structures. AI and collision detection depend quite a bit on the environment you are in.

There's some amount of overlap, and it might be possible from using a FPS engine.
But as a programmer, I'd want to optimize the algorithms and data structures. AI and collision detection depend quite a bit on the environment you are in.

A well designed game will be split into code which is reusable in any game the company produces, code which could be used in a similar game, and game specific code. Just about every company these days has multiple projects on the go at once, as often as not in very different genres, but still share a common codebase. It would be easier for them to work on another FPS, which may indicate this isn't WC, but if it is WC its really isn't an issue.
You possibly *could* optimise engine code for a specific game, but few developers would willingly limit themselves in such a manner.

Starbreeze Studios mention Project RedLime in their end of 2007 report (pdf; released yesterday).

There's this line on P.4:
”Project RedLime” med EA
Det projekt som har kodnamn ”Project RedLime” drogs igång i november 2007, och befinner sig fortfarande i förproduktionsfasen. Förläggare är Electronic Arts.

which translates as:
"Project RedLime" with EA
The project codenamed "Project RedLime" was started in november 2007, and is still in the pre-production phase. Publisher is Electronic Arts

There's also a paragraph on P.3 which seems to expand on the publishing arrangement:
Vi kan nu meddela att vår förläggarpartner för det nya spelutvecklingsavtal som undertecknades i
november är Electronic Arts. Projektbudgeten är den största i Starbreezes tioåriga historia. Vi gläder
oss mycket över detta avtal med EA, som är den ledande förläggaren i branschen. EA besitter bland
annat en stark marknadsförings- och distributionsapparat, som gör att de flesta av deras releaser
uppvisar goda försäljningssiffror. Genom att samarbeta med just EA ökar sannolikheten väsentligt att
vårt spel kan sälja tillräckligt stora volymer för att Starbreeze skall uppnå säljroyaltybonus.

Back