Best route for WCIV?

Max Gene

Spaceman
I'm getting WCIV in a few days, and I sure as HECK ain't gonna wait around for an answer on here when the box finally arrives :D

So what's the best method here- running it in DOSbox the way I ran WCIII, or using the Win95 patch? I understand the latter involves a minor performance boost- and if there's just a few slight snags to watch out for with it, I'd be more than willing to work around them.

I prefer the Windows 95 version because the mouse is a lot smoother and because I've had trouble with joysticks while using dosbox. I've been able to run the Windows 95 version in XP, but I haven't tried with Vista.

I suppose I should've mentioned that I'm under XP. Anything I need to know about compatibility modes or any other junk?

You have to run the Win95 version with Windows 95 compatibility mode, or else the game won't respond to the controls immediately. The thing I like about the Win95 version is that you have much better framerate compared to if you run it in dosbox.

I personally play the DOS version in DOSBox mostly, but there are several technical improvements in the Windows 95 version. It adds throttle and rudder support. Sound in spaceflight is 16 bit. Performance will be better on slower computers. There are also non-interlaced and 24 bit color movie options.

It should work well in dosbox, But the Win95 patch is a pretty good option. It doesn't seem to have the drawbacks that the Kilrathi Saga does. However, to apply the patch you may need to install the game in dosbox first and then apply the patch to the directory you installed the game in. From this point, you will set the compatability mode on the WC4 executables and you should be all set. If you are using a joystick, you might need to calibrate it in windows first.

If you have problems with the joystick I believe there is also a joystick patch. However most problems with controlers are likely to disapear if you run the game through dosbox.

No, he's cool- It's good to know that if I'm ever forced by Borg-gates to upgrade, that I'll still be able to play Wing4.

Thank you all very much- I can't wait to start playing... once it finally gets here. Guess I'll just go back to rewatching Academy TV until it comes...

I have the DVD version and reg 95 version of WC4 and they ran fine on XP after appying patches. Or on Vista after installing patches and selecting the compatability mode.

Speaking of DVD version- it's awful expensive. I take it we don't have a method in injecting those high quality videos into the CD version like we do with Prophecy?

The WC4 DVD has VOB files so it's possible to just re-encode and string them together to get the movie/story. With high quality compression I can get it all to fit to one DVD. In MPEG it would be considerably smaller but reduce quality even more. That's to make a DVD... WC4 is a double sided DVD, you'd have to do alot of uploading to get it.

Is there a way to up the graphics of WC4 to put them on par with the high quality movies? Not thinking Open GL, but well...

You look at the before and after of Prophecy and SO with the newest mods, it's stunning. Super improved graphics and video. Be sweet to have WC4 DVD movies with uped graphics. At the very least get rid of the high pitched lasers. Hate turing the vol up for the movies then going to space flight to have my eardrums rocked when space combat begins.:(

Speaking of DVD version- it's awful expensive. I take it we don't have a method in injecting those high quality videos into the CD version like we do with Prophecy?

Sorry, no. Wing Commander IV was a commercially available product, so we don't feel comfortable creating such an upgrade path... Prophecy DVD was something that was finished but left unreleased.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that was the CIC's stance, and I respect it. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, of course.

What about an update or patch for spaceflight graphics in WC4 to bring it up to par with the DVD vids or just for the WC4 game in general? That must be leagal. They did it on Prophecy with great results. Then again it was "easier" since the game already has Direct X support while WC4 doesn't really have that...so it would be considerably more difficult.

Just out of curiosity is it legal to take a copyrighted game like WC3-WC4 remod the ships and vid and put them in another game like WCP then distribute it? I wouldn't think so since it's on par with asking to inject WC4 DVD files into the standard WC4 game. Not asking if it's possible...just if it's bad.

What about an update or patch for spaceflight graphics in WC4 to bring it up to par with the DVD vids or just for the WC4 game in general? That must be leagal. They did it on Prophecy with great results. Then again it was "easier" since the game already has Direct X support while WC4 doesn't really have that...so it would be considerably more difficult.

The windows version of WC4 does use directx but just not as extensively. The clincher is that the game uses software to render instead of your 3d accelerator and supports none of the shading and lighting effects of new games...

However HCl does feel it's possible add direct3d support to WC4. Though right now he's busy dealing with some other stuff so that will have to wait for now.

Back