A basic demo video of the Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine.

The video is here:

Finally I've made a tiny episode with dialogue dubbed in. This way the basic functionality of this visual novel engine is even able to be demonstrated. The plot is the conversation of "high-tech pay-back". The voice clips are from the game.

I make a separate thread discussing this because I'm guessing this engine could mean more possibilities than my own VN here.

EDIT: It looks like the MP4 file encoded in ffmpeg isn't quite big, only about 10MiB, so I upload it. Afterall, YouTube encodes videos lossly again.

If there is no problem within the video, I will update the playable demo soon.

Last edited:
Great work EmuMusicFan! It looks great and the voice overs are awesome. Did you make those yourself?

Great work EmuMusicFan! It looks great and the voice overs are awesome. Did you make those yourself?
Thanks!
Yes, the portraits and title BGM are my works. Actually the current playtime of the VN is already more than a hour long. Of course, as of now, only this part comes with voice dub.

Oh dear. I looked up Ren'Py... Please tell me this will contain nothing of the furry persuasion. 😅

No arguments over the engine though. It seems made for just this kind of thing in mind.

Oh dear. I looked up Ren'Py... Please tell me this will contain nothing of the furry persuasion. 😅

No arguments over the engine though. It seems made for just this kind of thing in mind.

Looks like a certain plot of the official WC4 novel is better left avoided, haha, let alone certian WC4.123106 plots, hahahahaha. 😆

Rest assured, it should be an general audience game, a PG game at most.

And... is petting cats acceptable? Of course, I still don't have the guts to make the scenario someone wanted (If I understand correctly) of petting Crown Prince Gilkarg, hahahaha.

Of course, I still don't have the guts to make the scenario someone wanted (If I understand correctly) of petting Crown Prince Gilkarg,

It's okay to pet Crown Prince Gilkarg, as long as you're okay with being invited for lunch. And by "invited for lunch", I of course mean that you personally are being served as the main course... 😈 😈 😈

It's okay to pet Crown Prince Gilkarg, as long as you're okay with being invited for lunch. And by "invited for lunch", I of course mean that you personally are being served as the main course... 😈 😈 😈

Little Theatre:

Imperial Palace
Kilrah

Crown Prince Gilkarg: "Welcome to our party, Terran pilot!"
Crown Prince Gilkarg: "You're going to be the center of attention at this party of Kiranka clan... as our main course!"
Crown Prince Gilkarg: "As a prize for your courage, I grant the privilige to name the roast made of you with your callsign!"
Crown Prince Gilkarg: "Umm, is it the word on your back? Let me see... 'Origin'?"
"No."
Crown Prince Gilkarg: "Then what is your callsign?"
"CHEATER."

(The Terran-Kilrathi war ended early.)

Wow, that voice acting! Can you go into details about how you achieved that? Machine learning? Sampling? Audio manipulation? Just being a great impressionist? A mix of the above?

Just being a great impressionist?
May I ask what this is referring to? Sorry I'm not a native English speaker.

It was actually a surprise to me as well. I found that the WC4 Dolby track to have one channel of pure voice (at least in this clip), so the following was simple.

Last edited:
But for this VN demo as a whole, now there are a lot of episodes from the official novels, just mostly undubbed.

1. The Imperial Council, where the Empire decided to wage war upon the Confederation. A plot from Action Stations.
2. Imperial Military Conference on the McAuliffe Ambush. A plot from Action Stations.
3. The ending of WC3 novel. Melek's surrender. The novel version of this section is richer in plot lines. I combined lines from the novel and the game.
4. Melek's invitation. WC4 novel version, but with some special adaptations.
5. Melek boarded Blairs' ship, which you see in this video. This is from the game. (I will soon update the online demo with this part added.)

Since the 1st draft of Chapter 2 was released, here comes a demo video of it:

An excerpt from a semi-original plot.

It is an excerpt from a semi-original plot. It's about what happened when Melek's mechanics boarded the Intrepid to teach advanced cloaking technique to Pliers.

The approximate context:

At Blair's request, Melek assigned a Kilrathi mechanic of common-born descent to board the Intrepid with his Varni assistant to teach Pliers advanced stealth techniques. Sosa joined the team as data support, and Catscratch volunteered to join for fear of Sosa being injured by the cat. Over lunch, they talked about Colonel Blair related topics...

Sorry I'm not a native English speaker. If there are any bugs in this scenario, please alert me to fix them. If you have any good ideas, feel free to let me know.

Please note that this original scenario is only a small part of Chapter 2. If you would like to read the entire chapter:

Online version (Runs in your browser, maybe laggy):
WCFan
Download version:
https://palmusicfan.github.io/WCFan-win.zip

Last edited:
There is now an update released at the last day of last year.

Chpater 3 The Interview of a retired Imperial Claw pilot, Part One is online now.

Online version (Runs in your browser, maybe laggy):
WCFan

P.S. You may need to play from the beginning in the online version. I will release a download version with a save of Chapter 3 beginning later.

Back